Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Grouping Switches --- Suggestions

Hi,

Here is my case.

I have one 1760 router --> conected to a 2950 switch (no Gb port) --> connected to a 3550 switch (with Gb port) --> IP Phones --> PCs.

Second Picture is another one 1760 RT --> 3550 switch (with Gb port) --> IP Phones --> PCs.

I would like to combine both router into one. The problem is that a 1760 router has only one Fa interface; therefore, I need to connect all the switches together and I would like to hear some suggestions.

My thoughts are,

1. Keep the 2950 switch to connect all the devices that do not require Power over ethernet such as printers, etc.

2. Use one Gb port on one of the 3550 to connect my server.

3. Use second Gb port to connect both 3550 switches

My questions are:

1. I want to configure (besides management vlan) data vlan and Voice Vlan. Should I configure the 2950 on server mode and configure everything in there?

2. I have to connect my 2950 to my 3550 using trunking. Would that affect my traffic since the link is slower that a GB port?

Any feedback will be appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Grouping Switches --- Suggestions

Hi,

Your thoughts look good. Doesn't shows any probs.

You can configure 2950 switch on either in server or transperent mode. no issues.

I don't see any probs in connecting 2950 & 3550 in trunk mode. Try to specify vlans in trunks as a good practice.

Rgs,

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content