Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Half Duplex vs. Full Duplex

What are the pros and cons of using a full duplex setting between switches? Is there a reason you would not want to or a reason you would want to.

I am currently using half duplex setting (Auto Negotiated) between Catalyst 5000 series switches over 100Base-FX

You assistance is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: Half Duplex vs. Full Duplex

the only drawback could be a bottleneck somewhere when your traffic starts hitting the 10 MB Half duplex devices , however since you are connecting 2 switches this should not be an issue

5 REPLIES
Silver

by using full duplex you will not have any collisions over the pipe. You will enhance your performace with this setting .

make sure you hard code your settings, auto is less than reliable .

Is there anything not good about using full duplex settings?

Silver

the only drawback could be a bottleneck somewhere when your traffic starts hitting the 10 MB Half duplex devices , however since you are connecting 2 switches this should not be an issue

Silver

FYI

when changing the setting from half or auto to full the proper way to do this is

switch(enable) set port dis x/x

switch (enable) set port speed x/x 100

switch (enable) set port duplex x/x full

switch(enable) set port en x/x

As far as I am aware, there is no autonegotion on 100BaseFX. Which card are you using? If it is the WS-X5201, then the only options are full and half .. there is no auto.

The only reason I can think of that youmight want to use half-duplex on a 100BaseFX link is if you are connecting to some other equipment that does not support full-duplex. Since you have a Cat5000 at each end of the link, I would use full duplex.

Views
Helpful
Replies