cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hardware Help

v.dadlaney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am trying to get a low cost solution to do isl etc. I used cisco product advisor and figured I could do with a 2600 or a 1700. I am trying to figure out if the 2600 comes with fixed ethernet slots which I know they do but are they Fast Ethernet or regular ethernet? Also, what is the difference between the synchronous serial and the asynchronous serial and do they come in a WIC slot or NPM? I do not know much about these particular kind of routers as I have mostly dealt with 2500 series. Also, the serial slots on the routers are they rs-232 or rs-442? What is the difference between a T1 module and a synchronous serial/asynchronous serial module? Finally can someone recommend a particular model in both these family of routers which would be good for isl etc. Thank you

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

When you want to use the 2600 series, you will at least need a 2620. This baby has an on-board Fast Ethernet interface, and you do need Fast Ethernet to do trunking.

Connections to the rest of the world can be made using the two WIC slots. They can be filled with WIC-1T (serial) or WIC-1B (ISDN) modules.

A range of network modules can be inserted in the large expansion slot. You can check this out for yourself on the product pages.

One more important note: You will at least need IP plus software to do trunking, it is not compiled with the standard IP software.

The 1750 may provide a cheaper alternative.

What is the difference between the synchronous serial, asynchronous serial interface. Also, how are they different from the T1 module? Doesn't the 2610 come with an onboard fast ethernet interface also? Thanks for the help.

The 2610 has one fixed 10Mbps ethernet port. The newer 2610XM has a 100Mbps port.

The difference between sync and async serial is basically the speeds supported. High speed (T1/E1) and low speed (115k2) respectively.

They differ from the T1 module by requiring an external CSU/DSU, hence no framing, clocking or linecode options to configure.

Hope this helps.