Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble upgrading 2950 IOS inside the DMZ

Over the last couple of weeks, I have successfully upgraded the IOS on all my 2950's inside my LAN. Now I am moving on to a couple of switches inside my DMZ and I have run into a problem.

I can't do any kind of a tftp transfer.

I have configured the tftp service on my PIX 515e (ver. 6.3(3))

>tftp-server dmz x.x.x.x c:\tftp

But, I have not configured my LocalDirector tftp service.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ben

4 REPLIES

Re: Having trouble upgrading 2950 IOS inside the DMZ

Be,

Your switches are in DMZ.. fine.. where does the TFTP server reside. Do you have TFTP service running on that. Are you able to ping the TFTP server. will you TFTP the image file accros the LAN/DMZ. Have you enabled the port forwarding of TFTP on PIX in case of across the different zones.

regards,

-amit singh

My tftp server is on a laptop that is attached to the switch I am attempting to upgrade. I have configured it with an IP from my public range and can reach the internet but can't ping it from the switch. I have also configured it with an IP from my private range but can't reach the internet with that IP and can't ping it either. I don't believe I have enabled port forwarding and I'm not sure I need to. How would I know?

Thanks, Ben

Ben,

If you are on the same zone then you dont need any port forwrading. How ever, pkease check the IP on the switch 's vlan interface whihc you will try to communicate to the switch. Check you PC is connected to which vlan on the switch by using " Show vlan ". Make sure that you PC is on the right vlan and you port exist in the same vlan.

Make sure you have an Ip address on the vlans interface of the switch which will be used to communicate with the switch and its in up/up state. Just it give the same range of IP as you PC has. Make sure that you have a link light on the switch port where you PC is connected and also the interfcae is in up/up state. if all OK then you should be able to ping the switch and also to TFTP the image on the switch.

regards,

-amit singh

Yes, my laptop is on the correct vlan and they are in the same range. I have link light and internet connection. Still can't ping, though.

At this point, I'm thinking this is a translation issue in my PIX so I've decided to open a TAC request. Hopefully, they can help me through this but if you have any more suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Ben

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content