cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help a noob with 2912 software image question

netpro101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, I have a few noob questions I hope you can help me with.

For study purposes I purchased a WS-C2912-XL-EN switch off of ebay and expected it to have the Enterprise software on it. the "EN" in the model number stands for enterprise does it not?

IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-H2-M), Version 11.2(8.5)SA6, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE

System image file is "flash:c2900XL-h2-mz-112.8.5-SA6.bin"

Processor is running Standard Edition Software

I have a WS-C2924C-XL-EN in my posession that is running:

IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC8.bin"

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software

I want to practice setting up trunks and this is why I bought this particular switch so I need the enterprise version.

If the upload the enterprise image from the 2924 to the 2912 will it run?

I don't have access to the Cisco software tool to find out if this image is compatable with the 2912.

Would I be breaking any licensing rules by doing this? The switch was supposed to come with the enterprise software was it not?

2 Replies 2

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

Yes it is compatible. The 2912XL and 2924XL are based on the same architecture the main difference is the port configuration.

The image name c2900xl-* is suitable for all 2900XL series switches.

If you use the switch for practicing only I wouldn't worry about licensing problems.

--Leon

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead & copied the IOS enterprise version image from the 2924 and tftped it onto the 2912, removed the old ios and set the boot image.

I rebooted and all is well.

One question; typically a tar would have been uploaded to the switch to update it and deliver the .bin and html files.

I only upgraded the .bin image and am going to use the same html files that were present to manage it through the web interface. Does using the old html files with a new image present a problem??