Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HELP-changed IP address by mistake

Hi,

Well I mistakingly changed the IP address on a 3550 to an address outside of the subnet the switch belongs to. I can see the switch via CDP, but can't telnet to it because there are no routing entries to it. Is there some way (via CDP) that I can correct the IP address on this switch or am I forced to have someone local to the switch console in to fix it? BTW, I can't add a route entry to reach it. Thanks

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: HELP-changed IP address by mistake

You will have to console in to change the IP address if you wish to do it in a non intrusive way.

Hi There, the other option I would do is that if you have a router on site that you can reach, would be to put a secondary ip address on it in the same subnet as your switch, and then telnet to the switch from this router, that should get you by !!

hope that helps

Carlos

Hello,

through CDP you should be able to get the IP configured in the switch (in case you don´t remember). Then use a router and place a secondary IP on the interface in the management VLAN of the switch. You should then be able to do a local telnet specifying the source IP from the router to the switch. Once you´re in, repeat the IP address configuration in the switch with the proper setting. Don´t forget to remove the secondary IP of the router interface.

The router config could look like this:

interface FastEthernet0/0.100

encapsulation dot1Q 100

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

ip address 19.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

telnet 10.1.1.254 /source FastEthernet0/0.100

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content