Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

help for configuring terminal server.

I want a router to forward received data on it's async port at the moment a specific character is received (return). How do I do this.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: help for configuring terminal server.

You can do policy routing on the router to forward packets, but it is not possible to do policy routing for characters (such as return), only you can use layer3 or layer 4 info in the packet using extended ACL etc.

Some URLs for understanding Policy Routing

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/techno/protocol/tech/plicy_wp.htm

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/36.html

HTH

R/Yusuf

Green

Re: help for configuring terminal server.

I'm not sure about what you're asking for here.

If you are attached to the router in character mode, then you're talking to the router, and each character is accepted as it's typed (into a command line buffer).

If you're attached in network mode (ppp or slip) talking to some attached device through the router, then the router does no interpretation of the character as it passes through.

You're either talking TO the router, or THROUGH the router.

You'd probably be using Telnet (or "reverse Telnet"...): Traditional Telnet sends each character as it's typed (in it's own packet) ...that's just the way it is. There are some Telnet clients available that allow you to set a buffer in the host, such that the traffic is not sent until a "return" is entered (sending the whole line in one packet).

Either way, the router does not hold the information (as a packet/frame) until some event (like a return) ...it either builds the line in the command buffer locally, interpreting it when the "return" is entered, or passes it along to the destination device/host as the traffic is received.

What is the issue you're trying to fix?

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.