Views
Helpful
Replies

HELP ipx on 2950 switch

supra99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have recently purchased 2 cisco 2950T-24 switches, previous to this we had 3com switches that had both IP and IPX protocols on it and worked fine together. Upon switching across to the cisco switch I can no longer see the novell server? The switch can straight out of the box with no configuration at all done to it as I was told just plug it in and it will work as we needed it urgently.

The IOS is 12.1(12c)EA1, do you need to set the type of protocols that will be switched? as I cant find any options as to why the IPX is not working?

Running Win2000 with Novell 4.11 with

Cient v4.83.0.0 SP1

Thanks

5 Replies 5

pzafar
Level 1
Level 1

have u connected your switch with a cross cable?

The only thing I used a cross over cable to connect was the switch to the firewall but not to the actual novell server.

Should I be using a cross over for anything else?

jamey
Level 4
Level 4

The 2950 doesn't have any knowledge of Layer3 protocols like IPX. On Cisco switches there is an option called "portfast". By default portfast is disabled on Cisco switches. Portfast basically doesn't turn the port on for a few seconds when a PC/Server is connected to it. You probably need to enable portfast on the switch ports that connect to yoour workstations and server:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4916/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008011c721.html#xtocid16

jamey
Level 4
Level 4

The 2950 doesn't have any knowledge of Layer3 protocols like IPX. On Cisco switches there is an option called "portfast". By default portfast is disabled on Cisco switches. Portfast basically doesn't turn the port on for a few seconds when a PC/Server is connected to it. You probably need to enable portfast on the switch ports that connect to yoour workstations and server:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4916/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008011c721.html#xtocid16

Thanks,

It works now! thanks for that.