Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Help me to identify the right SNMP OID

Hello all!

I need some help to understand why this oid (cpmCPUTotal5minRev 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.8) is not available in my router

step 1

http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/netmgmt/cmtk/mibs.shtml

I have Catalyst 6500 with msfc so I will find the list of mib available for my IOS version 12.1 8a EX

I find a file cisco-process-mib.my

Step 2 lokking for the object to probe

Here the one I want but is it deprecated so I should take the other one

cpmCPUTotal5min Gauge32, -- deprecated

cpmCPUTotal5minRev Gauge32

Step 3 look for the oid

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Mibbrowser/unity.pl?tab=2

cpmCPUTotal5minRev = 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.8

Step 4 try to get the value with snmp tool

Not available!!!

I know I have problem understanding the structure. If there is one or more CPU how do you identify the instance. I usually add .0 or .1 at the end of the OID but it`s not always that simple...How do you intrepret the mib file to make sure the value received is relly what you expect

Is there any inconsisctency in Cisco document?

Thanks

Ch

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Help me to identify the right SNMP OID

SNMP MIB objects are of two types: scalar and vector(tabular).In the former case, mostly suffixing of .0 gives you the instance. Latter case requires the table row index to be known for retrieving a particular instance.

Because cpmCPUTotal5minRev is part of a table, one has to provide the index to be able to perform GetRequest or in other words getone from the toolkit perspective.

In such cases, one needs to do a walk to retrieve unknown instances. Every genuine SNMP manager toolkit will have a binary that achieves this walk functionality, and you should use the corresponding binary from the toolkit that you are using.

1) Do a walk on cpmCPUTotalTable

2) cpmCPUTotalPhysicalIndex on each row provides you entPhysicalIndex, a mapping to the corresponding entity represented in entPhysicalTable

Refer to the description clause of cpmCPUTotalPhysicalIndex in the MIB for the complete details

3) Now retrieve the corresponding entPhysicalDescr to find out more details about the physical entity

An example, using SNMPR toolkit, follows:

% getmany -v2c public cpmCPUTotalTable

cpmCPUTotalPhysicalIndex.1 = 30

cpmCPUTotal5sec.1 = 0

cpmCPUTotal1min.1 = 0

cpmCPUTotal5min.1 = 0

% getone -v2c public entPhysicalDescr.30

entPhysicalDescr.30 = GRP, HwVer#: 1.4, SwVer#: 12.0

Following tech-note sheds light on how to collect CPU utilization

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a94.shtml

Hope this helps!

Views
Helpful
Replies