Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Help please

I am in need of a little help to determine what I need to set up a wireless network to connect 2 computers to our existing network.

Currently we have the following setup:

Router connected to DSL modem and 4 Port Hub

Comptuer 1 Win98 connected to Hub and 2 Printers

Computer 2 WinXP connected to Hub

Computer 3 WinXP connected to Hub

I wish to add 2 more computers to the network via wireless connection.

Computer 4 WinME

Computer 5 Win98

Computer 4 and 5 are about 75 feet away in the next building. Computer 4 and 5 need to be able to access DSL, files on other computers, and printers via the network. Computer 4 is a desktop and Computer 5 is a laptop. Neither have network cards. Both have USB ports.

The only available port in our existing system is a serial port on the back of the router labeled "Manager".

What hardware do I need to set this up for the 2 additional computers?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Help please

Bill,

You will need:

a) A wireless access point (WAP) that transmits and receives wireless data to computers 4 and 5, and connects to the existing network via ethernet.

b) A new hub. Your existing one has only four ports which are all filled. You will need a port for the WAP.

c) Wireless adaptors (one each) for computers 4 and 5. You can find adaptors that connect to USB ports.

Be sure to read the material that comes with the wireless equipment about securing your wireless network. If you use it in the default configuration, you will likely find yourself sharing all of your data with nearby friends and enemies alike.

Good luck.

Mark

Views
Helpful
Replies