cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help, Running out of policers on 6500

DAVE GENTON
Level 2
Level 2

I know the dread qos on a 6500 with IOS issue, it's a pain to us all and I need help my friends.  Just upgraded a customer site to Sup32's and going to IPT, implemeted first closets and next morning awoke to emails of :

%QM-4-AGG_POL_EXCEEDED: QoS Hardware Resources Exceeded : Out of Aggregate policers

Customer is asking about switching to per vlan vs. per port and I honestly dont see a great definition of the difference, is it just the pool of resources ? can someone explain ??  Also I was told by another architect in response to this that the per vlan would not help, but to make it microflow policing vs. aggregate policing ?  In researching that all I could find is that going that route shows that there are far LESS resources available for policing per flow, than aggregate ?? Anyone familiar ??  Running 12.2(33)SXH6 on Sup32's and each day seems to be a new hurdle when it comes to QoS on these puppies.  I think we have 1GB of memory in these at the access layer.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance,

Dave

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I know the dread qos on a 6500 with IOS issue, it's a pain to us all and I need help my friends.  Just upgraded a customer site to Sup32's and going to IPT, implemeted first closets and next morning awoke to emails of :

%QM-4-AGG_POL_EXCEEDED: QoS Hardware Resources Exceeded : Out of Aggregate policers

Customer is asking about switching to per vlan vs. per port and I honestly dont see a great definition of the difference, is it just the pool of resources ? can someone explain ??  Also I was told by another architect in response to this that the per vlan would not help, but to make it microflow policing vs. aggregate policing ?  In researching that all I could find is that going that route shows that there are far LESS resources available for policing per flow, than aggregate ?? Anyone familiar ??  Running 12.2(33)SXH6 on Sup32's and each day seems to be a new hurdle when it comes to QoS on these puppies.  I think we have 1GB of memory in these at the access layer.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Check out the below link as per the recommedation from cisco for the above error message.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801b42bf.shtml#qm_agg

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post