Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Help save a lowly interns head

I really am in need of help. I'm a cisco newbie. I got a 1605 router dropped in my lap and frankly have no idea how to configure it. I have the basics already covered (I have done my homework). But where I run into trouble is in the routing. Cisco promises me that the 1605 has the capability of having one connection (say DSL) and another (ISDN) and if the DSL crashes then the ISDN will dial-up and that will work. So my situation is I have a fixed wireless connection. That goes through a dumb bridge, and on into the router where is DHCP's from the ISP. The other ISDN line is from another ISP and the settings are separate. how can I use the wireless as my main connection and if it tanks have the ISDN line take over? Please help me, at this point I'm not above begging.

Thanks,

Carl

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
5 REPLIES

Re: Help save a lowly interns head

type ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (dialer 0 or bri 0) 250. The 250 is a higher AD. I'm not sure it will work thought because you have an ethernet connection, and the keepalives that keep it up will only fail when the connection to the bridge goes down. You have no way of routing other than manual) if an upstream connection goes down.

Is there then a way to load balance them? THe problem is that there are two gateways. Since the keepalive between the router and the bridge won't go down.

Load-balance as in send equal amounts of traffic to both destinations? Yes, but both links have to be up and it might get expensive via the isdn is charged by the minute.

For load balance do two default routes with same AD.

It sounds like this should work, but above I read it as having two different ISP's. If this is true, I do not see how per-packet or per-destination load balancing will work. Also, I am not sure I would want to "load balance" two links, one with little bandwidth, and one with more.

Actually I could careless about load balancing them. We have enough bandwidth when the wireless is up to fit for the entire company. ANd since the wireless company has shaped up thier act a little bit the connection is much better. But I still live in fear of the wireless crashing on an important day. I there a way to set the routing proirity way down on the ISDN so that if the wireless stops routing it will go out the ISDN? The ISDN is unlimited minutes so we really don't care about the time it is up. So load balancing for us is a moot subject. I'm just trying to get a working solution.

Thanks,

Carl Agren

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.