cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[HELP] VTP Server/Client Convergence

ganeshkallu
Level 1
Level 1

I have two switches, I'm trying to create a VTP trunk between the two, but for some reason, the client is not receiving any VTP database entries from the server switch. I tried almost everything, reloading the IOS, erasing the NVRAM, and erasing the VLAN data file. VLAN entries were successfully assigned to specific ports on the server switch and verified as active. Verification for convergence on the client switch, shows no available VLANs. I've included running-config and vtp verification outputs for both switches. If anyone can help me, it would greatly appreciated, thank you.

both switches are on the native vlan1 with /24 addresss and pingable.

6 Replies 6

dnewell24
Level 1
Level 1

Can you post the configuration please?

Are the switches in the same VTP domain? Is a password configured for the domain?

sean
Level 3
Level 3

Just curious, but do you have both switches set to the same vtp domain? Also, are you using a password for your vtp domain? When you say that you have reloaded the IOS, etc., did you do that to the client switch or the server switch?

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Can u verify weather the trunk link is configured properly and u have allowed all the vlans which r needed.Check u have the same vtp domain name and password on both the switches.

Thanks

Mahmood

ganeshkallu
Level 1
Level 1

both switches are in the same vtp domain, there is no vtp password set for the server or the client. I've erased nvram and vlan.dat's on the server and client, which did not helped. I have also zeroed the revision numbers by temporarly changing domains. Also both switches are able to communicate to each other, 'show cdp neighbors' provides a valid neighbor entry and i'm also able to telnet across the trunk.

ganeshkallu
Level 1
Level 1

enableing vtp v2-mode, resolved this issue. thank you for the replies.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Several conditions must be correct in order for VTP to propagate:

- The switches must be linked with a working trunk

- The default VLAN must be the same

- In some switches, VLAN1 must be allowed on the trunk

- Both switches must be running VTP server or client

- The VTP domain name must match

- The VTP authentication password, if present, must match

One common problem, and one that is devilish diffcult to find, is where the password has an upper/lower case mismatch, or when it contains a trailing space.

Try doing a debug on the VTP.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: