Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Help with 801 router

Hi.. I wasnt sure which was the best forum to put this in but i will ask here..

I have spent many hrs now on this now and i have 2 issues i dont know how to fix...

One is ...... How do i edit the config file as i need ot add stuff in the dialer section. ?? Please laymans way. As i dont understand where and how to achive this.

Two .... Second issue i have i can get the moden to connect on isd and i cant ping it on the network and access it via the http://198.... so on.. But i cannot browse the net or use anything at all.. At one stage i was able to use msn and ping ip addresses from my computer and thats all.....

I ahve gave it its own ip and my computer another ip ann under the same mask and agteway.. eg..

router 198.162.0.1

mask 255.255.255.0

gateway 198.168.0.1

then the computer with a 198.162.0.2

and the rest as above.

Like i said it works and dials but i cant do anything else.

The setup is a os winxp pro the router connected to pc and the router to another isdn modem into the sbus ...

So any help would be great. i have no idea what to do anymore......

Thank you in advance..

Slav

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Help with 801 router

You can find a quiet a lot of useful configuration documents of 800 series router here.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/browse/psp_view.pl?p=Hardware:800&s=Software_Configuration

Thanks i will have a read...

It will be hard to pinpoint the problems you are having with the description you gave. However, getting access to the routers config should not be a problem. Having not worked on an 800 router before i am using knowledge from a 1700 router.

Run a program called Hyperterm and connect to it using TCP/IP and specifcy the IP of the router. Once in you need to get the config mode by using the command - enable

In regard to browsing the internet problem, check the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) size the router is trying to squeeze over the internet connection. I have found this with ADSL connections, the default size was over 1500 and i had to reduct it to 1452 to get a good speed/connection over the DSL

And browse the cisco website ! theres a wealth of knowledge here !

Views
Helpful
Replies