Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Help with Bandwidth Usage via SNMP (SNMP rookie)

I'm new to SNMP and hope someone can assist me with the information I need. I'm trying to asses the bandwidth usage of our internet connection. I have been adviced to do this with SNMP because of our setup but I havent been successful in gathering data so far. Here's an overview of the network setup. We have a DSL connection to the internet. This is a Cisco 678 DSL router. It connects to an 8port 3Com hub. From there one connection goes to a hardware firewall which connects to the hubs on the LAN. Another connection goes straight to the 2nd server w/ software firewall. The external ip address is 64.xxx.xxx.xxx and the internal address is 10.xxx.xxx.xxx. I have enabled SNMP on the router and when enabled i can see that there's a device. I have used different programs like SNMPC and MRTG to gather the information but no bytes count. When I use SNMPC I can see the device but when i try to get the byte count information I see different ports (5) eventhough the router only has a wan & lan port. I tried all different port to get the bandwidth usage but I dont get any information. I hooked a system into the 8port hub right behind the router and assigned it and ip address on the same network. I can ping the router. I hope i have given enough info but if not I can provide more

My question is am I missing something here. I know the community is set right and also the Management IP addresses. Is there a document somewhere out there that can guide me through this process or is there a kind soul who is willing to devote sometime to assist me with the necessary information. Many thanks in advance

1 REPLY
Blue

Re: Help with Bandwidth Usage via SNMP (SNMP rookie)

You can look at: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/calculate_bandwidth_snmp.html but first need to make sure that the device is reachable via SNMP using what ever tools you're using for the polling.

Views
Helpful
Replies