cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with Bandwidth Usage via SNMP (SNMP rookie)

parbo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to SNMP and hope someone can assist me with the information I need. I'm trying to asses the bandwidth usage of our internet connection. I have been adviced to do this with SNMP because of our setup but I havent been successful in gathering data so far. Here's an overview of the network setup. We have a DSL connection to the internet. This is a Cisco 678 DSL router. It connects to an 8port 3Com hub. From there one connection goes to a hardware firewall which connects to the hubs on the LAN. Another connection goes straight to the 2nd server w/ software firewall. The external ip address is 64.xxx.xxx.xxx and the internal address is 10.xxx.xxx.xxx. I have enabled SNMP on the router and when enabled i can see that there's a device. I have used different programs like SNMPC and MRTG to gather the information but no bytes count. When I use SNMPC I can see the device but when i try to get the byte count information I see different ports (5) eventhough the router only has a wan & lan port. I tried all different port to get the bandwidth usage but I dont get any information. I hooked a system into the 8port hub right behind the router and assigned it and ip address on the same network. I can ping the router. I hope i have given enough info but if not I can provide more

My question is am I missing something here. I know the community is set right and also the Management IP addresses. Is there a document somewhere out there that can guide me through this process or is there a kind soul who is willing to devote sometime to assist me with the necessary information. Many thanks in advance

1 Reply 1

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

You can look at: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/calculate_bandwidth_snmp.html but first need to make sure that the device is reachable via SNMP using what ever tools you're using for the polling.