Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Help with configuration for Catalyst 6500 switches

I am installing two new Catalyst 6500 switches this weekend and need some assistance / suggestions on configuring the GBIC fiber uplink which will be running between the switches. I'm not sure if I should be using just a straight 'set port channel' command for this or if I need to do something more advanced than this. There will be common VLANs on these switches as well if that play into the choice.

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Help with configuration for Catalyst 6500 switches

It is a good idea to configure the links between the 2 6500's as etherchannel. If you have multiple VLANs, you might want to configure it as a trunk as well

Can you explain how I would do this using the GBIC ports on the supervisor engines? I looked at the Configuring EtherChannel PDF just a moment ago, but I'm not sure I understand what exactly needs to be done.

Thanks again,

Justin Loucks

Maybe I was just making this harder that it really is. In reading over the 'Configuring Etherchannel' document, I'm noticing that EtherChannel is setup using the 'set port channel' command. I was under the impression that Port Channel and EtherChannel were two different things. Now that I have a better understanding of that, is there any specific command I need to issue against the EtherChannel ports to put them in a trunk mode so that they pass information from all VLANs and not just a certain VLAN to which they belong?

use the command below:

set trunk 1/1 on (isl,dot1q,dot10,lane,negotiate)

not sure what encapsulation you are using. that is why i listed them. this will allow for all Vlans to be passed on the trunk.

The default for VLAN configurations on an IP only network would be dot1q, correct?

I have only used ISL and dot1q. It is really your preference. Just make sure both sides have the same ecapsulation. Try the link below. Hope it helps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f659.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content