cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with forward-protocol (I think)

jeremypogue
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working on a 800 series router and I want to make my external router foward my RDP and OWA request to my internal private server. I guess what I need to know is if I access my public IP of my router on a specific port, how so I get the router to foward that request to the internal server that can service the request?

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

RDP uses UDP port 259

OWA uses TCP or UDP port 80. OWA is outlook web access, which should again use HTTP as the protocol. I dont see any reason why OWA is not working, because, mostly the protocol used should be HTTP over TCP.

anyway the command to forward protocol is,

ip forward-protocol udp

Hope that helps!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

does this also work for forwarding terminal services port number 3389 to say a PIX to pass it on to the internal network?

ryang
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think forward-protocol is what you're after. That is for forwarding broadcast UDP packets only (like DHCP to a remote server)

What you want is static NAT translations, to take specific ports of your single external IP address, and map it to a specific machine internally.

For example:

ip nat inside source static tcp [PRIVATE_IP] 3389 interface Dialer1 3389

or replace 'interface Dialer1' with your static IP, or other dynamic interface. This takes port 3389 on your outside interface, and forwards it to 3390 on your internal network.

Ryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: