cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hey Cisco, fixed-config layer 2 gig-copper switch any time soon/ever?

schm196
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco's only entry in this market is the 3550-12T. The switch might be all great and that but if all I want is to interconnect some servers at high speed over copper then it is ridiculously overpriced - $7k+. I am not about to buy some Linksys or D-Link switch but even brand-name shops can give me twice the ports at 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Anything in the pipe or are all rumours to this extent the usual vaporware? I just don't need layer 3 here.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

steinar.haug
Level 1
Level 1

We have been asking about the same thing. The 3550-12G (or -12T) is

ridiculously overpriced if you don't need the L3 capability.

It seems like it should be easy enough for Cisco to sell the -12G og -12T

with an SMI license.

I can only suggest talking to your Cisco account manager. If enough

customers ask for this (and threaten to buy HP/Linksys/D-Link/whatever)

Cisco will listen.

View solution in original post

I would like to see this as well. I honestly feel that if enough of us "little guys" speak up we can get Cisco to listen. It's a no-brainer anyway that not offering this w/o the layer 3 capability leaves a hole in Cisco's product covereage that others are only too happy to fill

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

steinar.haug
Level 1
Level 1

We have been asking about the same thing. The 3550-12G (or -12T) is

ridiculously overpriced if you don't need the L3 capability.

It seems like it should be easy enough for Cisco to sell the -12G og -12T

with an SMI license.

I can only suggest talking to your Cisco account manager. If enough

customers ask for this (and threaten to buy HP/Linksys/D-Link/whatever)

Cisco will listen.

Well, I did just that. The leverage my company has, however, is virtually non-existent - we're a local government with about 500 network nodes and 40 servers, not exactly something that Cisco would consider a key account yielding a lot of repeat business.

Thanks for your remarks; keep spreading the word!

;-)

I would like to see this as well. I honestly feel that if enough of us "little guys" speak up we can get Cisco to listen. It's a no-brainer anyway that not offering this w/o the layer 3 capability leaves a hole in Cisco's product covereage that others are only too happy to fill

All,

Cisco did release a Layer-2 12 port GBIC switch it was called a 4912G. I do not know what the availability of the switch uis now, but it wasr eal about 1-2 years ago. This may be an answer.

-Bo

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps663/ps677/index.html

This is a GBIC-based switch, not fixed-config gig-over-copper. If you look at the price for a gig-copper GBIC (and multiply by 12) you still have the same price problem with many more potential points of failure on top of that.

I agree, it is not price-friendly. But, it is an option...

-Bo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: