cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High availability network with Catalyst 6509

adong
Level 1
Level 1

My company's getting 2 of the above switches and planning to build a HA and HR network using HSRP. Getting 2 supervisor engines for redundancy. Access layer switches will be either 2950 or 3548 switches. Each stack of switches will have 2 GBIT uplinks to each of the core switch. I was just wondering is this sort of design the best in a HA and HR network environment? And how does the catalyst switches compare to nortel's equivilent passport switches? Any advise by the gurus out there will be appreciated.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes..Your design of connecting your closet switches to your dual core in a classic triangle way is a good design and it provides better redundancy.

Keep in mind that High Availability will not function when you are using Dynamic VLANs, GVRP, Port security and Protocol filtering. We use this design with CAT6000's in the Core and Edge with no problems what-so-ever.

joaopedro
Level 1
Level 1

Your design is like mine (except for the access sw families)... I hope it's the best :)

The HA is very powerfull and it works really well. I tested it and I'm using it in my LAN. Very short downtimes!

I have tried the config sync... Excellent idea; doesn't work.

Regards

JPL.

What issues did you have with config-sync? Let us know along with software version on MSFC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: