cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High CPU utilization on 6500. L3Aging shows 94 % utilization.

andf1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We are seeing high CPU utilization on one of our Cisco 6500 layer 3 switches. The logs don't point to any issues. The traffic on the switch is not significant. SHO PROC CPU shows that L3Aging is responsible for 93% of the CPU load. I am opening a TAC case on this issue but I was wondering if anyone knows what the L3Aging process is responsible for.

The switch has dual supervisors with MSFC2s. It is running CAT OS cat6000-sup.6-1-1b.bin. The MSFC2 is running c6msfc2-is-mz_121-3a.E7.

switch-> (enable) sh proc cpu

CPU utilization for five seconds: 99.26%

one minute: 100.00%

five minutes: 100.00%

PID Runtime(ms) Invoked uSecs 5Sec 1Min 5Min TTY Process

--- ----------- ---------- -------- ------- ------- ------- --- ---------------

39 494133621 229147354 121000 94.96% 93.12% 93.00% -2 L3Aging

Thanks,

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

L3Aging is related to NDE(Netflow Data Export). Check for any anomalies.

Also, on a side note, I could not help noticing that you are running 6.1(1b). You might want to go latest 6.4(x) which is general deployment to get various security vulnerability, diagnostic enhancement and other bug fixes.

PS: Remember to rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

zschoenfeld
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem on my sup720 a while back. It turned out that Vlan1 on the MSFC was up up. Since I don't use vlan1 in my network I shut it down. The problem went away.

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

L3Aging is related to NDE(Netflow Data Export). Check for any anomalies.

Also, on a side note, I could not help noticing that you are running 6.1(1b). You might want to go latest 6.4(x) which is general deployment to get various security vulnerability, diagnostic enhancement and other bug fixes.

PS: Remember to rate useful posts.