cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Host names in UT

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

After running User Tracking in CW 2000, we noticed that some of the Host Names have the IP addresses in them as opposed to their Computer Names (W95 and NT4.0 workstations). Can somebody please shed the light as to why it's happening?

Thanks.

_ Alex

7 Replies 7

minie
Level 4
Level 4

Alex,

Once UT finds the ip address of the end host, it will try to a reverse lookup to resolve it to hostname. If it fails to do so, it will place ip address into hostname. Following url is a very good UT troubleshooing techtip.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/Campus/ani.shtml#hostnames

Ming

Ming,

Thanks for your response. How can I make sure the CiscoWorks2000 can do a reverse name resolution of the IP address on all my Microsoft workstations (W95 & NT)?

Thanks again

_ Alex

UT will automatically do that. You can verify if the workstations are reverse resolvable by following the instruction in the link I sent to you. If nslookup is able to do reverse lookup successfully, but UT does not, you may want to do "reinitdb.pl -ut" to reinitialize the UT table.

Alternatively, you should enable "use reverse DNS lookup" under discovery settings.

Ming

One thing to remember about the reverse lookup that CiscoWorks2000 does, is that it depends upon the workstations being registered in the DNS or DDNS servers that CiscoWorks2000 uses. It may also use the host table on the platform that CiscoWorks is running on, however having it there sort of defeats the purpose of having a DNS or DDNS server to begin with.

Windows systerms do not, by default, update either DNS or DDNS servers with their IP address:Name mapping. It does update it's WINS server for the Windows Domain it participates in, however this does not mean that DNS or DDNS are updated. There are tools available to make those updates, however making that happen requires work on the part of either a system administrator, or during setup of networking on the workstation.

In either case setting things up so that the workstation's IP address resolves to the workstation's name involves a bit of extra setup. If you are doing DHCP on site, vefiry that your DHCP server is updating the DNS server. If you are manually administering your workstation IP addresses, make sure that you include those addresses in both the name lookup table and the reverse lookup table on your DNS servers.

-Rusty

Rusty,

Thanks for your very informative response. The guy who maintains our DNS/DHCP environment told me that he had setup some servers for reverse lookup but not workstations. What's even more puzzling is that our DNS server is not MS DNS, yet, I see lots of MS workstations names resolved. Very strange indeed....

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/Campus/ani.shtml has a section on this issue which you can refer to.

bmasten
Level 1
Level 1

There is a feature called UTLite buried within.

There is a UTLite.bat and exe. That you load on a PDC and it pushes to the WS. Then the WS sends UDP packets to the CWorks server with the machine name and username for NT workstations.

I am testing it now in the lab. Others are using in production.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco