Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Hostflapping caused network crash

We experience numerous of the following error message resulting in a very unstable network that was only recoverable by rebooting the switches. Info suggests a STP issue, but I am not convinced because it failure started without any changes being made on the network.

%C4K_EBM-4-HOSTFLAPPING

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Hostflapping caused network crash

What ports were you seeing the flapping on(host ports or uplink ports to other switches)? The switch prints these messages if it sees a MAC address on 2 ports at the same time(most common reason is STP loop). However, I have seen other causes such as packets getting looped back etc. If you are seeing it on host ports, it is a good idea to enable portfast and BPDU guard so that the ports are shut down if they see a BPDU getting looped back.

Re: Hostflapping caused network crash

The issue shows a flap between the host interface and a channel trunk port connecting to a remote switch (fiber uplink).

The network consists of 3 switches connected in a loop, with trunk channels between each switch.

I had thought of the BPDU guard as a preventative measure, but it doesn't get to the root cause.

Views
Helpful
Replies