cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can cat2950 implement the acl ?

sonailsolo
Level 1
Level 1

I think ACL need device having capability of layer3,but cat2950 switchs are layer2 device , how can it implement acl ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The 2950 is layer-2 only from a packet-forwarding standpoint. It can, however, support layer-3 access lists on a very limited basis. Though it can't forward packets at layer-3, it can still filter at layer-3 -- these two functions aren't related.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jawad1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If your switch is MLS (Multi-layer switching) capable, then you can use a router with access-list defined so that the switch may learn whether to forward the data to the destination port or not.The 2950 is MLS capable.

Hope I helped

Jawad

The 2950 is layer-2 only from a packet-forwarding standpoint. It can, however, support layer-3 access lists on a very limited basis. Though it can't forward packets at layer-3, it can still filter at layer-3 -- these two functions aren't related.

"Filtering" but not "forwarding" , thank u for giving me the hint .

You can also use ACLs for QoS classification.

Regards,

Milan

Hi Jawad,

What would be the command to enable MLS on the 2950 switch? I also noticed that on the 3550 switches there is a command for MLS QoS but not MLS itself.

Thanks,

RAJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: