cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I calculate packets per second using SNMP?

leandroe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I need to calculate the number of packets per second in a interface using SMNP. When I get SNMP  I see the values but the values don´t are the same that in the "show interface". I need to plot a graph in the WhatsUp to help a solve the problem.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

leandroe wrote:

Hi, I need to calculate the number of packets per second in a interface using SMNP. When I get SNMP  I see the values but the values don´t are the same that in the "show interface". I need to plot a graph in the WhatsUp to help a solve the problem.

Thanks.

Hello Leandroe,

Netflow will give you some indication. Be careful about CPU usage. Monitor CPU usage. Change Netflow versions if its experiencing issues as CPU demand varies depending on version as differing amounts of data are exported.

Netflow will be reporting flows and not actual PPS so short lived connections which don't send much will show high number of flows but actually have low PPS. Check on SNMP counters and have knowledge about what actually is being sent on your network to work out a PPS value.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: