cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I choose RIP path over OSPF one on directly connected networks?

scytmax_2
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sir!

I've such scheme: R1===R2

So, there are 2 links between R1 & R2: there are OSPF on one link and RIPv2

on another.

Now I'm located at R1.

Q: How can I implement RIP path to R2 preferred over OSPF one?

Best regards,

Nick

4 Replies 4

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

You give the RIP routing process a lower administrative distance than OSPF using the DISTANCE command. The route with the lowest administrative distance will be chosen. By default OSPF is 110 and RIP is 120.

Dear Sir!

I suppose - this is not that case - because this networks are directly connected, so router make it choise based upon AD=0 of directly connected networks and not use RIP or OSPF routing information. So, router makes equal-cost balancing over two directly connected links

Is this true?

How can I use RIP routing info only to make routing decision?

Best regards,

Nick

You cannot prefer a Routing Protocol over a directly connected link. However, for all subnets beyond R2 you can prefer the RIP routes using the distance command that rsissons recommended. For any packets destined only to R2 from R1 it will take it's directly connected route. All other packets will follow the routing decision.

Your response doesn't make any sense. Your router would load balance only if both costs came across as equal. It makes no difference that you have two directly connected routes to R2. Your two connections as you've already stated are two seperate links (i.e. two seperate subnets). You cannot have an AD=0 for any subnet other than the subnet you are currently using for that individual link.

~rlc

CCNP, CCDA, CNE

cwschultz
Level 1
Level 1

I certainly hope you tried the solution suggested by rsessions because it is the solution you are looking for. And... for further proof I set your network up in my lab and sure enough, setting the distance on RIP lower than OSPF, say 100, caused the route path to switch to RIP.

Haveagoodun!

cliff