cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I limit Internet usage time?

aunet
Level 1
Level 1

I have many users that have computers in my network and all the users can go out to Internet. The problem is the traffic in network. I would like to limit the usage time (maybe in the form of limit usage time per month or limit usage data in megabits).

Are there any software or any solution to this case?

7 Replies 7

mwanika
Level 1
Level 1

All you need is to configure your firewall to block some ip numbers at any time of the day.

read out this articles http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-8.html

I want to set usage time or data per month for each user. Maybe users have to log on to network for connecting Internet from LAN. So IP Block in Firewall is not my solution.

j-lau
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think there's a native Cisco solution. You might want to consider an ACS or proxy solution? Both approaches have positive and negative points, but the proxy (or SOCKS) solution could be used to control both bandwidth, time of day, access per month, etc).

The ACS solution could control access per month, etc.

b.hart
Level 1
Level 1

A good commercial product I know is www.surfcontrol.com

jkemery
Level 1
Level 1

You can also limit via a PIX firewall with a Websense server for ruling.

I agree. Websense is the way to go for this.

9dsmehlik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Another way to setup "time" limited internet usage is by using "time-range" and access lists. It requieres to configure the correct time on your router (if you have a router) and than set up the time-ranges and Permits/denies in access lists. I've only used this in a lab environment, but it worked just fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: