cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I limit the amount of bandwidth going to an ether.port on a 3640??

jpoulos
Level 1
Level 1

How can I limit the amount of bandwidth going to an ether.port on a 3640??

5 Replies 5

cbassett
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can use the traffic shaping functionality which can be applied to outbound traffic on an ethernet interface. But beware, the limit on traffic shaping seems to be about 1 billion bits which equate to about 12.5 mb. At 10MB Ethernet speeds you should be ok but fast ethernet is a bit of a problem.

See the 'traffic-shape rate' command for an overall cap limit or the 'traffic-shape group' command to apply a limit for traffic matching an access list.

Best regards,

Carl

traffic-shape will do up to 97.7 Mbps, not 12.5 Mbps.

If 1,024,000 bps = I Mbps

then

100,000,000 bps / 1,024,000 = 97.65625 Mbps

So the traffic shaping will almost do 100 Mbps

cbassett
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can use the traffic shaping functionality which can be applied to outbound traffic on an ethernet interface. But beware, the limit on traffic shaping seems to be about 1 billion bits which equate to about 12.5 mb. At 10MB Ethernet speeds you should be ok but fast ethernet is a bit of a problem.

See the 'traffic-shape rate' command for an overall cap limit or the 'traffic-shape group' command to apply a limit for traffic matching an access list.

Best regards,

Carl

that works, but I also need to limit traffic that is inbound. Is there any way to do that?? Thanks in advance.

jpoulos

Hi, why dont you use rate-limit for this problem ? It works well on Ethernet as you are limiting the specified traffic itself. Please note that it should be defined seperately for each direction.