Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I press a "Break" key on a 2611?

I need to enter the ROM Monitor Mode of a CISCO 2611 router. The manual "Rebooting a router" writes on page FC-240: "Press the Break key during the first 60 seconds while the system is booting."

On the CICSO website I didn't find a hardware manual what explains where there is a Break key on a 2611 router or something similar what I can press to enter the ROM Monitor Mode. I looked in the appropriate manuals on http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/cis2600/hw_inst/nm_inst/nm-doc/index.htm but I didn't find the necessary information.

Thanks for any help.

6 REPLIES

Re: How can I press a "Break" key on a 2611?

Take a look at this link: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/61.html

If it doesn't help let us know.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Silver

If you are using NT there is an issue with the break key and hyperterm. try win 95 or 98

I have run into the same problem in the past. I came across a document that described another way of issuing the break sequence. Set your HyperTerminal connection speed to 1200. Connect to your networking device, reboot the device and continue to press the space bar repeatedly. You will see characters across the screen. After you have done this for a short period (1 min or so), disconnect and reset your HyperTerminal session properties back to 9600 and reconnect to the router. You should now be in ronmon mode.

Hope this helps.

FWIW, if you download 'Hyperterminal Private Edition' from download.com, the break key works properly.

Also, in minicom (Linux's terminal emulator), I have never had a problem with break keys or uploading code at 115200.

Thank you all for your help. I downloaded Tera Term Pro and I was able to enter the Monitor Mode. Very good freeware.

Best regards to all

U. Galle

If you're console into your router with a computer on the keyboard there is a break key and if you're using a laptop you may have to press the function key along with the break key.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content