Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How can i set the static route?

I have two sides interconnected by frame-relay point-to-point interface . On each side ,i use the static route point to the other side by using the command such as "ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1" command. In order to backup,i have another route to the same destination learn by routing protocol(eigrp) with a distance 170. I find that if the interface to the remote side is down,the static route in my the routing table is disappear and the route learned by routing protocol will adopted.But because of the problem of the frame-relay service provider, if the remote side 's interface is down, the pvc on the near side remains active .So when i issued the command "show interface "or "sh frame-relay pvc" in my router ,the interface remains up/up,and the pvc remains active,but actually the next hop address is unreachable.

In this case ,the static route still remains in the routing table ,and the dynamic route will not adopt by the route,so backup is not achieved.

The problem is : how can i find a way to set the static route so that when the next hop address is unreachable (although the interface remains up/up),the static route will disappear so that the dynamic route to the same destination will adopted?

By the way ,i can only use static route between these two sides.

1 REPLY

Re: How can i set the static route?

If you have Cisco routers on both sides, and IOS 12.0(7)T at a minimum you can use the Frame-Relay End-To-End Keepalive feature on this PVC on both ends. This feature sends keep alives end-to-end and if the keepalives don't make it across after 3 misses by default IOS will force the interface down. This works best on subinterfaces.

Erick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content