Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

how can i test my time-based ddr ?

Hello all,

I am in the process of implementing time based dial on demand routing for a couple of routers running over isdn and i have the following problem?

I am basically stopping traffic on several ports bringing up an isdn line for a set period of the day. I have written the scripts and i need to test it now before i deploy. i need a utility that will allow me to 'ping' on specific ports and prove the config. Does anyone know of such a utility or possibly a workaround ?

cheers

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: how can i test my time-based ddr ?

This can be achived by changing the clock on the router, using clock set xxxx.

Change the clock to the 2 different times when the ddr should & should not make a call (according to the time range set).

Thanks, Mak.

Bronze

Why would you need a utility and/or script ? With your time-based DDR config in there, all you need to do is once initiate interesting traffic through this router within the allowed window and see if it dials out and then initiate another interesting traffic within the disallowed timeframe and verify that it does not dial and you are pretty much done.

~Zulfi

Thanks for the replies chaps, but i want to prove that traffic on some ports will pass through and traffic on others wont. i have already set up a simple lab with 2 laptops via 2620's and this have proved the timebased ddr will and wont pass pings. i would however like to prove that some ports will remain open and route traffic whilst others will close.

the ddr is going to control dial-up to a remote bds and lan and therefore some ports need always to be open and some can be closed. i was hoping there may be some way to test this.

cheers

Silver

If the protocol is TCP (rather than UDP), you can specify the destination port to access using telnet. That would cover testing the reachability/blocking based on the destination port for TCP. Controlling the source port is more difficult.

Also keep in mind that when the link comes up for legitimate traffic during the forbidden times, it will also service undesired traffic until the link drops from a lack of legitimate traffic. This may cause undesired side effects (such as hung computers) depending upon the undesired traffic being blocked. You may need to add time based access lists to the interfaces to physically block the traffic in addition to the time based access lists defining "interesting" traffic.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Views
Helpful
Replies