cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I connect to a priner through a router

asiegel
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router set up between two networks. I have an access list that allows certain PCs on the other network to connect to my network for such things as email, etc. I would like to add a networked printer on my end to a PC on the other network. I added the following to the router, "access-list 101 permit ip host 192.168.0.150 host 172.x.x.x (the ip address of my printer). But when I go to that PC, I cannot ping the printer. I would assume I need to ping before I can add the TCP/IP port for my printer. I have the same line pointing to a PC on my network and can print to a shared printer off of that share, but I'd like to be able to set up an IP printer so I don't have to worry about the shared computer being on 24 hours a day.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

A. Siegel

Dover, DE

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

First of all you dont need to ping, so that you can add the TCP/IP port. But its just a good practice to verify the reachability of the printer via ping, before adding the printer.

If you need to verify ping, you ll need to enable

ping traffic also on the access-list.

Just add the printer as a tcp/ip port, network printer. To ping successfully add the following line,

access-list 101 permit icmp host 192.168.0.150 host 172.x.x.x (specific ping between the host and printer)

or

access-list 101 permit icmp host any any

(allows all pings)

Now make sure you do the following steps,

1. copy the existing access-list into a notepad

2. edit or add the new statements to the access-list, on the notepad,

3. remove the access-list on the router (using no access-list 101)

4. copy and paste the access-list back to the router.

Hope that helps.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

mattgioia
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm. ACL's you need to add in entry for everything you want to allow as there is an implicit 'deny all' at the very end.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: