Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How do I control flooding on cat3548??

I work for an ISP. We have 20 3640's(each with 48 modems) connected into a Cat3548 and we also have a 7206 plugged into it that goes out to the internet. I only have the default VLAN setup. I am worried that I'm getting a lot of flooding on the switch. Is there a way to make sure that each port is only able to broadcast to a single port(the 7206)? Is there a better way to do this? Can I make separate VLAN for each 3640 and make the 7206 a member of each(Will that help? how do I do it?)

Thanks in advance.

Jpoulos

2 REPLIES

Re: How do I control flooding on cat3548??

u can use trunk between 7206 and 3548

Cisco Employee

Re: How do I control flooding on cat3548??

Yes..you can use Trunk between the 7206 and 3548, but for this you have to create many subinterfaces on the router.

The other simple way is to configure protected ports on your 3548 switch.

A protected port can not send the traffic to other protected port. The protected port will send traffic to the upprotected ports only.

Configure all ports as protected ports except the port connected to 7206. This way all ports can communicate with the router but they can not talk with each other.

The configuration is also very easy, visit the follwoing link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc3/sc/swgports.htm#xtocid17

Views
Helpful
Replies