cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I found the default username and password for Cisco 892 after reset

chensi910
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, reset my cisco 892 router, and get the following output,  I was asked to input a username, when I tried "cisco" at it said, it tells me it is "

Bad IP address or host name", what should I do to find a valid username and password.

Press RETURN to get started!

% Password expiration warning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cisco Configuration Professional (Cisco CP) is installed on this device

and it provides the default username "cisco" for  one-time use. If you have

already used the username "cisco" to login to the router and your IOS image

supports the "one-time" user option, then this username has already expired.

You will not be able to login to the router with this username after you exit

this session.

It is strongly suggested that you create a new username with a privilege level

of 15 using the following command.

username <myuser> privilege 15 secret 0 <mypassword>

Replace <myuser> and <mypassword> with the username and password you

want to use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

yourname>cisco

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if you are getting the prompt above ("yourname>") then the ">" at then end shows you are logged in to user exec level. To change level to enable you would type "enable" (not "cisco"). Once changing to enable level the prompt should end with a pound sign ("#").

At that point you can enter configuration mode ("conf t") and create a username as shown in the banner you pasted above. Exit config mode and save the configuration ("exit" then  "copy run start")

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if you are getting the prompt above ("yourname>") then the ">" at then end shows you are logged in to user exec level. To change level to enable you would type "enable" (not "cisco"). Once changing to enable level the prompt should end with a pound sign ("#").

At that point you can enter configuration mode ("conf t") and create a username as shown in the banner you pasted above. Exit config mode and save the configuration ("exit" then  "copy run start")

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I recognized that I am in the user exec mode. I try the "enable", the ouput is as the flowing shows.So I still can not enter the privileged exec mode.

yourname>enable

% No password set

yourname>

Dear all

I just recongnized that my cable was pluged in in AUX port, not the console port. After I change it to console port, my problem solved. And I login with username "cisco" and password "cisco" successfully. Thank you for your review.

Best regards

Si

You're welcome. Please mark your question as answered and rate helpful replies.

GUD morning, i have the same problem as this, my router displaying ENTER USERNAME: and ENTER PASSWORD:, can you please help me how can I go to USER-EXEC MODE to RESET my router,,,  ASAP,,, THANK YOU VERY MUCH,,,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: