cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I tell what iOS firmware updates I'm eligible for?

obrienw264
Level 1
Level 1

As I understand it, Cisco differentiates between an update (free, bug fixes only) and an upgrade (requires purchase, new features.)  If I want to get the latest update (i.e. free) how do I know what versions I'm eligible for?

For example, I have a WS-C2960G-24TC-L running C2960-LANBASE-M, Ver. 12.2.35-SE5.  When I sign in with my Cisco account and go to downloads, I'm presented with 20 versions of 12.2 going up to 12.2.58-SE2, as well as 10 versions of 15.0 going up to 15.0.2-SE6.

Which of these can I (legally) install without purchasing an upgrade license?  How can I tell for other models I have?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The terms are similar and that may be confusing. But Cisco is quite specific in the way that they use the terms update and upgrade. The general principle here is that if you are covered by a maintenance agreement then you are entitled to "updates" to new version numbers/release levels. To change feature sets (or feature licenses on newer equipment) that is considered an "upgrade" and is a purchase. So you should be legal to update to 12.2.58-SE2 or to 15.0.2-SE6 or any version in between. But to change from LANBASE you would be doing an upgrade.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The terms are similar and that may be confusing. But Cisco is quite specific in the way that they use the terms update and upgrade. The general principle here is that if you are covered by a maintenance agreement then you are entitled to "updates" to new version numbers/release levels. To change feature sets (or feature licenses on newer equipment) that is considered an "upgrade" and is a purchase. So you should be legal to update to 12.2.58-SE2 or to 15.0.2-SE6 or any version in between. But to change from LANBASE you would be doing an upgrade.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I am glad that my response was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. This will help to identify to other readers of the forum that there is helpful information here.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick