cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you configure a router for Windows Active Directory?

The program I work at is a Software R&D program that has been UNIX based from its inception until now. We have been directed to transition to a Windows 2000 environment.

In our integration and test labs we simulate military command centers on different subnets. The routing protocol is OSPF and the IP addresses are subnetted class B addresses.

We have installed Windows 2000, SQL server, Exchange, and Active Directory on two servers. Each server is on a different blade of a 2514 router. The router has version 11.0 of the IOS on it. DNS has been setup and you can ping by name and IP address from server to server and to clients on each subnet.

The problem appears to be that Active Directory cannot see across the router to the other subnet. This is in either direction.

Is there any special configuration needed on the router to allow Active directory to be seen on another subnet?

2 Replies 2

andrea.meconi
Level 2
Level 2

I don't know how AD works, but it sounds like helper-address!

Hope this help.

Andrea.

ttorgerson
Level 1
Level 1

Unless you have ACL's applied to your router, then the router is not keeping AD from working... AD relies heavily on DNS... We have had numerous problems with DNS when setting up AD... Check your event logs on both servers for DNS related errors. Also, I am assuming you have only one domain created under the AD structure and this is not separate domains, or even a separate tree... I would recommend starting out with something simple as AD can become a mess within a very short timeframe...

Also, do you have AD loaded on both servers or just one? What is the setup of the servers - IE -> Win2k, SQL and AD on one... and Win2k, Exchange and AD on the ohter, etc...

a router should never prevent AD from functioning unless some crazy ACL's have been applied... as AD points to DNS for everything...

If both servers are running DNS and AD, how do you have DNS configured on them?