Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How does MISTP-PVST interoperate with PVST+

Hi,

I've the problem that my CAT6K-Switches with Sup1A are facing a very high CPU-Load caused by BPDU-Traffic of about 400 VLANs. I wanted to migrate to MST but because I will still have PVST+ Switches, and it cannot be garantied that there is only one Root-Bridge for all PVST+-VLANS, this is not my solution.

Now since my Cat6k are running on CatOS 8.4(3) I also have the possibility to run MISTP-PVST-mode. Unfortunately I cannot see anywhere how it exactly works to decide whether this can solve my problem or not.

The network has to be very flexible, thus I have to have these many VLANs!

Thanks in advance

Horst

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: How does MISTP-PVST interoperate with PVST+

MISTP (802.1s) is an IEEE standard which allows several VLANs to be mapped to a reduced number of spanning-tree instances. This is possible since most networks do not need more than a few logical topologies. Each instance handles multiple VLANs that have the same Layer 2 topology.

Per VLAN Spanning Tree Plus (PVST+) provides the same functionality as PVST using 802.1Q trunking technology rather than ISL. PVST+ is an enhancement to the 802.1Q specification and is not supported on non-Cisco devices.

To view about the spanning tree instance, use the following command on any of your cat6k switches.The o/p will be as below.From this o/p, i think u may be able to identify its overall functionality.

show spantree mistp-instance active

Instance 1

Spanning tree mode MISTP

Spanning tree type ieee

Spanning tree instance enabled

Designated Root xxxxxx

Designated Root Priority 32769

Designated Root Cost 0

Designated Root Port none

VLANs mapped: 1

Root Max Age 20 sec Hello Time 2 sec Forward Delay 15 sec

Bridge ID MAC ADDR xxxxxxx

Bridge ID Priority 32769

VLANs mapped: 1

Bridge Max Age 20 sec Hello Time 2 sec Forward Delay 15 sec

Re: How does MISTP-PVST interoperate with PVST+

Please please, don't run MISTP;-)

There is a common confusion between MST and MISTP.

MISTP is a cisco proprietary ancestor of MST. MST is an IEEE standard that I strongly recommend you consider (MISTP will be dropped as soon as we can).

I put a white paper on CCO giving an overview of MST http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/147.html (you might want to read the RSTP white paper also in order to follow: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/146.html)

Regards,

Francois

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content