cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how many meter length of cable that can be connect from a catalyst 500 expr

thomasjuandi
Level 1
Level 1

i am installing LAN and internet for internal using. I use an UTP cable CAT-5E that more than 15mtr, but the signal can not be detect from my catalyst 500 express. what is wrong with it ? may u help me ?

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

It supports the full 100Meter spec for structured cabling.

What "SmartPort" role do you have assigned?

Is the cable one that you made, or is it a commercial grade / purchaed cable?

What kind of device are you connecting to?

Let us know

Scott

Sorry i am late reply your message.

in smartport, i define the port as switch ( have ever using 'other' ) when i connected it to a 3com switch hub (Baseline Switch 2024) or use Linksys hub (5 port) and when i connected to a notebook or pc, i used 'PC' in smartport.

i used 'Belden' cable category 5E (i have already check it by RJ45-tester and got good result).

the other condition when i was connecting between catalyst 500 e and switching hub linksys, the led of the linksys's port is blinking slowly.

but if i connected it(catalyst) with 3com switch hub, the port of the 3com was blinking very fast.

i have ever tried using 2 3com switch (24 port) hub and 1 linksys switch hub (5 port) for connecting to a computer from the catalyst, using 2 or 3 meter cable for each device and i got good connection.

now, i connect the catalyst to 10 clients (pc) with wireless access-point and 2 server direct to the catalyst with 2-3 mtr cable. the LAN is running well.

thanks for your reply

Thomas

3Com Baseline switch has all ports with auto MDI/MDI-X setup. The fast blinking supposedly 3com is trying to figure out whether port should be MDI or MDI-X. If you don't get connection even after some time (port on Catalyst doesn't come up), try reconfiguring smartport as 'pc' and let 3com to do cross-over.

Let me know if that helps.