Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

How may VRFs can be used within the PE?

How may VRFs can be used within the PE if all the links between PE-CE are static routing?

4 REPLIES

Re: How may VRFs can be used within the PE?

While I'm sure there is an exact number, I don't know what it is. But it's a lot. It really depends on the scalability of your router.

But if I may ask - why do you ask? Are you seriously telling me that you believe you are going to have so many VPN customers that you think you will reach the vrf limit? Really? Are you sure? I don't exactly see any serious groundswell for VPN service demand from customers at this time (in fact, I see almost no demand).

If all the VRFs are using BGP for the connectivity, it is really no limit. (depends on your memory)

The VRF limit depends on the number of PDBs.

That is IOS limit.

It doesn't matter how strong the router is.

Can anybody tell me if one VRF using the static route for the connectivity belongs to one PDB?

Gold

IT's primarily going to be limited by memory and processing power.... Especially if you are using static routes. If you are using routing processes, there is also a limit on the number of routing processes (the pe/ce commit to eigrp fixes this for eigrp specifically, but not for other protocols).

Russ

Russ,

I know that a customer VPN using OSPF for the connectivity between PE and CE belongs to one PDB within the PE, but coulu you tell me if a customer VPN using static route belongs to one PDB within the PE? If it is, two customer VPNs using static route will occupy two PDBs within the PE and will soon reach the router's limit.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content