Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to backup vlan information

Hi

I'd like to add a vlan onto my switch. The worry I have is that I might lose the vlan information or mess up while adding the vlan.

What steps would I take to ensure I have backuped up all the switches and their vlan information, and how would I restore it.

Just to add a few of my switches are in a cluster, I'm not sure if that affects anything or complicates the restore.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Dan

4 REPLIES

Re: How to backup vlan information

HI

Which series switches u r having.if it is 2950 or 3500 then u can take the backup of vlan.dat file from flash as it stores the info for all vlans.

Thanks

Mahmood

Purple

I have always wondered why they just can't incorporate the vlan.dat file into the IOS . It is a pain having to have 2 different backup files for the same switch . I wonder how many people actually backup the vlan.dat file ?

Hi

Thanks every one for your replies. My switches are 3524/3548's. How would backing be affected by the siwtch being in either client or server mode with regards to VTP?

Thanks very much

Dan

vlan.dat is being deprecated and is now recommended to use the config mode to create the vlans. This will cuase the vlan configurations to be saved in the start-up.

Views
Helpful
Replies