Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to bypass the username/password authertication on Cat4006?

I need to reconfigure a Superviser Engine II, WS-X4013 through console connection, it prompts me to enter username and password when I tried to get in enable mode.But this part has been sitting in the stock for years, so nobody knows the username and passwor, so I am just thinking is there any way to bypass this authentication?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: How to bypass the username/password authertication on Cat400

Use password recovery to get in and remove AAA configs or issue a "clear config all" once you break in

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_6000.html

Thanks,but the problem is that it prompts me to enter Username first before password. After type a null password, I get an authentication error message.

Anyway, I have fixed it. Under the rommon> mode, changed the config-register value to 0x1860 to ignore NVRAM configuration file so that the authentication is bypassed.

"Important: After the first password prompt is presented, you have 30 seconds to complete the recovery procedure in Steps 3 - 7 below. Because you only have 30 seconds to complete this procedure, you will press Enter whenever the switch prompts you for an old or new password. Pressing Enter at the password prompt is the equivalent of entering a null character. This will allow you to complete the recovery quickly.

If any of the steps below fail, it means you have exceeded the 30 second time limit and will have to power off/on the switch again. You will need to start over, beginning with Step 3."

You have to do it quickly...As soon as you see a prompt, hit (for a null password), then type "enable" and hit (for a null enable password as well).

Views
Helpful
Replies