Replies

How to change metric on EIGRP on source ip & destination basis

anu-s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Eveyone ,

i am stuck with an issue of eigrp metric change, it goes like this:

i have servers based in HUB , HUB & Spoke are connected through the

Leased line & VSAT , eigrp is running between them .

Now we want to send the traffic from the server1 & server 2 at HUB through

Leased line to spoke , and the rest of the traffic through VSAT , once the

Leased line down , then the traffic for the server 1 & server 2 at HUB

should move to VSAT .

I tried using offset list offset-list 1 out 20000000 Serial0/0, but the

offset command doesnt take extended access-list so with out it i am not

able to send just the traffic originating from the server1 & server 2 to

the SPOKE through Leased line , any idea on this

1 Reply 1

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

This statement "Now we want to send the traffic from the server1 & server 2 at HUB through Leased line to spoke" tells me you want to route based on the source address in addition to the destination. That is a function of policy routing which is designed expressly to handle situations such as you describe.

If you also need to split the traffic coming from the spoke back to the hub, it is usually easier to use "longer prefix routing" to bias the decision. Insert host routes for the servers in HUB and redistribute them via EIGRP, but filter them (using "distribute-list out") so the SPOKE only gets them via the leased line.

Think through what you are doing and how it will work when lines go down, particularly if a line can go down and not take the link protocol with it so that the routers still think the link is up. Otherwise you can build in some nasty surprises when failures occur.

If this seems confusing, consider hiring a knowledgable consultant to help you sort it out. What you are asking for can be done fairly easily, but it can also easily be done wrong.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: