Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change VTP Domain Name properly on active domain?

Hey all,

I have an active VTP domain at one campus of multiple switches - 6500s, 4000s, 3500s, 2950s, etc. As you can see I have combination of CATos and IOS. I need to change the VTP domain name for the entire domain. I can't find a document explaining the proper way to do this while having the minimum impact on my network.

If I simply change the VTP domain name on a VTP server, will it propagateto all clients and servers? Or will all clients immediately lose VLAN/VTP config information and be offline until I change VTP domain name in each?

Thanks in advance,

-Jason

1 REPLY

Re: How to change VTP Domain Name properly on active domain?

Hi,

"If I simply change the VTP domain name on a VTP server, will it propagateto all clients and servers?"

No. The VTP server will start sending VTP frames with the new domain name. But these frames will be ignored by the switches with the old domain name configured.

"Or will all clients immediately lose VLAN/VTP config information and be offline until I change VTP domain name in each?"

No. The current config will remain until you change the domain name on the switches.

I'd recommend the following steps:

1) Change the domain name on one of VTP servers. The VLAN database will remain the same. But this change will reset the configuration revision number to zero. Create and delete a new test VLAN on this server. This will increase the revision number to 2.

2) Change the domain name on the neighbor switches. Because each of them will have revision number 0 now, they will synchronize their VLAN databases according to the first server. (This may take up to 5 minutes.)

3) Continue with other switches. Finally, all switches will have the same VLAN database (the same as the first switch) with revision number 2.

4) If the VLAN databases were synchronized before you started the changes (i.e., VTP was running correctly) there should be no impact on your network.

Regards,

Milan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content