cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to clean up .dfr and .dfc files -- RME 3.3 on Solaris

gfendrick
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to delete the Change Audit History. I can delete the records from the RME database using the RME GUI, but none of the actual .dfr and .dfc files are being deleted from disk --

/var/adm/CSCOpx/files/archive/confi/*.dfr or *.dfc.

Am I missing something?

Has anyone else figured out how to clean up these files?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Use the GUI to enable the Archive Purging Policy. Don't use CLI to manually remove any of the above file, other wise you'll run into problems.

I have already done what you suggested.

I used the GUI,

RME>Administration>ChangeAudit>DeleteChangeHistory.

I have gone through, and selected all my devices, a few at a time, selected the "Ignore Date Range" option, and ran the job immediately to purge the change audit history.

I get a response that some number of records have been deleted. It appears it deletes the audit record from the RME database, but it does not delete the actual .dfr/.dfc files.

I have been working with the TAC, and they assure me that when using the GUI, the .drf and .dfc files will not be deleted. Actually they tell me those files are never deleted.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Do your .dfr and .dfc files actually get deleted when you use the GUI?

Thanks.

Should also be aware of CSCdu85632. Only if the devices is not in the RME inventory you may want to remove these decvics manually.

I was re-reading your message....Were you refering to the Configuration Management Archive Purging Policy?

We did set this option to purge Configuration Archives 'Older than 4 months'.

This option seems to work great. When I check the disk file, /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/archive/config/nnn/*.cfg, the .cfg files are only 4 months old. Where nnn appears to be the RME device number for any given device.

But the .dfr and .dfc files in the same directories are up to 18 months old???

Just to document how this issue was resolved:

Turns out (at least in RME 3.3) if you want your Change Audit files to be correctly deleted along with your Configuration Archive files, you need to select BOTH options for Configuration Archive Purge. Purge by both age and by number of versions.

At least on my system that resolved the issue. We had originally selected purge by age. Then added Purge by number of versions. After we added the option to purge by number of versions, the Change Audit files were also correctly deleted.

We did not test this, but possibly selecting only Purge by number of versions also works correctly. If some one know that, they can add it to this discussion.