Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to clear config on Cat 6500 running IOS

Copying a configuration file to running config only adds new commands. Suppose i want get rid of all current config and load from startup or anyother file. How do i do it ????? I could do this in cat OS by doing a "clear config all" but cant do it in IOS.

4 REPLIES

Re: How to clear config on Cat 6500 running IOS

From the priviledged level run setup command, load minimum IP setting to connect to your TFTP server and download new config. Or delete nvram:startup-config file and reboot the switch.

switch# write erase ?!?!?!?!

I Tried both "setup" and "write erase" but that does not do what i am trying to achieve ( erasing startup and then reload does ). I am trying to get the "erasing startup and then reload" results w/o having to reload the switch.

Thanks

Hasan

Cisco Employee

IOS behaves different than CatOS. True "clear config all" did not require a reload. But with IOS devices, there is the notion of the startup and running config. You can only erase the startup-config with a single command "write erase". Clearing the running config would be very hard and tedious, requiring a "no" on most of the commands.

Since you want the box erased anyway, reloading shouldn't be a big issue. Just a little extra time.

-Larry

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content