Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Configure a VTP Secondary Server

gfiguereo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a VTP Version 2 enable with 1 Server and many clients..

I want to convert one of the clients in a Vtp Secondary server.

In the case of a failure of the primary the Vlan Database persist in the Domain.

6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You sure can do it.. if it IOS switch, do the following

switch#vlan database

switch(vlan)#vtp mode server

switch(vlan)#exit

If it is CAT OS, issue

Console(enable) set vtp mode server

But when i create this new VTP Server how i can ensure it takes the database from the existent????

Whith the revision number??

Just make sure the revision number is lower on the secondary vtp server. If it isnt, change the domain to "null" an then back again, this will reset the revision number. I believe changing the vtp mode to transparent and then to server mode will also reset the counter.

Hi,

you said "I want to convert one of the clients in a Vtp Secondary server".

So if your VTP domain works correctly, the client switch should have the same VLAN database and revision number as the server switch.

You can check it with sh vtp status or sh vtp domain command.

Just change the client mode to server.

The switch will save the current VLAN database to the flash (or config in CatOS) and work as VTP server with no problem.

Regards,

Milan

OK

The revision number is the same and apparently the only thing that i have to do is to change the mode from client to Server.

But in the case that i want to make a backup to the Vlan.dat file in a CatOS switch where i can find?

There is no Vlan.dat file in CatOS.

The VTP and VLAN info is saved as a part of VTP server config.

Use sh config sys

and find #VTP in the output.

You'll see set VTP ... and set VLAN ... commands.

That's it.

Regards,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: