cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

how to configure ether channel

Hi mates,

As far as I know, when you configure ether channel (PAGP/LACP) on two ports, they act like one port. but in reality packets are not sent through both ports. Only one of the ports is used until the actual link fails.

Question is:

I have two switches, each has two SFP ports, I want to connect two switches each other.

how can I make ether channel always use both ports when sending/transmitting packets? I remember it is possible.

thanks for helping :)

5 REPLIES

Re: how to configure ether channel

HI

i hope this link will help u .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_example09186a0080094aec.shtml

when u create ether-channel it will automatically load balance based on source/destiantion mac address or source/destiantion ip address.

Thanks

Mahmood

Purple

Your understanding is incorrect , both channels are used . It depends on the address whether its the IP or mac address on which port in the channel it uses . For a given conversation between end points it will use the same port in the channel , but traffic as a whole doesn indeed get load balanced across both lines in the channel.

Community Member

Hi Glen, you are helpful as always. thank you for explanation.

But I dont get it how can you use both channels while you are using one port. I better open a topic just about PAGP etherchannel.

Hi Friend,

I will recommend you to read this doc

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12120ea2/3550scg/swethchl.htm#wp1020011

Which will give a fare idea of how load balancing and fwding methods work

Regards,

Ankur

Community Member

hi Ankur

That is an excellent link, thank you buddy :)

It says same with Glen: if we have two hosts to ping, load-balance method is used.

but if we continously ping the same IP from the same source, only one port is used.

unfortunately I need to ping the same IP from the same source. and I want to use both ports which seems impossible :(

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content