Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure QoS ?

joe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm quite puzzled by this problem. I have a 1605R E0 connected to my LAN and E1 connected to a 1500/128 cable internet.

I'm thinking of implenting some form of QoS due to input bandwidth congestion problem. Example, when FTP downloading a huge file, other access slows down to a crawl.

I have looked at CBWFQ but it doesn't seems to fit my scenario as the service-policy can only be applied to output where else my situation is the input congestion.

Any ideas on how best to overcome this ?

Regards.

5 Replies 5

pbarman
Level 5
Level 5

Use an access-list to identify the ftp traffic.

Then, Use rate-limit on your E1 interface.

int s0:1

rate-limit input access-group 101 conform-action continue exceed-action drop

samsam_wang
Level 1
Level 1

try to use PQ, like

priority-list 1 protocol ip low tcp ftp

Thank you for all the replies.

I have played around with PQ but doesn't see any effect. Example i tried to boost web traffic to a higher priority.

priority-list 1 protocl ip high tcp www

int e0

priority-group 1

I place the priority group on e0 which is connected to LAN instead of e1 due to NAT running.

Any idea what went wrong ?

Regards.

jamey
Level 4
Level 4

You can't control input congestion. The router cannot control or prioritize traffic that is inbound to it on an interface because it doesn't know what the traffic is until it gets to the router (thus already using the bandwidth).

The various queuing techniques are for outbound traffic out of a router's interface. They are typically used in environments where the input interface has more bandwidth than the output interface (in most cases this would be like a router with an ethernet and a serial interface.) On both sides of the WAN link, the routers would use some kind of queuing (PQ, WFQ, etc...) so the traffic over the limited WAN link could be controlled in both directions.

-HTH

Just as i thought.. thanks for the confirmation.

I'm left with no choice but to use an application to limit the amount of bandwidth taken up by FTP. Not an ideal case because the limit is fixed. It doesn't allow FTP to use more bandwidth when the line is free.

Regards.