cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure question

s.whittington
Level 1
Level 1

You are changing the config on a router (Terminal Server). We just added a new MCU connection in Virginia You want telnet to go through line14 on the router. You want to give it the address of 128._._._ You put the description on the interface of Line14, now it is time to assign the IP address. What is the command line to assign an IP address to Line14.

Hint: it is not the same as adding an IP address to S0 or E0.

3 Replies 3

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Frined,

WHY do we need to assign an ip address on the line.

You can access that line with the reverse telnet using the port number 2014

You can use any ip address which is configured on terminal server let it be any ip address on any physical port or loopback ip address and use port number 2014 to access the device connected to that line.

telnet 2014

HTH

Ankur

Hello Samuel,

in addition to Ankur´s post, I assume this is some sort of exam question ?

Judging from the ´hint´, what they are looking for might be:

ip host Router16 2014 128.x.x.x

With this configuration, you can reach the device (I named it Router16, it might be different in your case) directly from a PC or another router. If you Telnet to 128.x.x.x 2014 from your PC or another device, this tells the Telnet client to go to port 2016 instead of the default Telnet port 23. Be aware though that an interface with IP address 128.x.x.x must be configured on your terminal server...

HTH,

GP

I want to say thanks for all the great help. This was a test question. What I did find out this question was software specific. Wich it didn't mention in question.