Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to connect 2 LANs on same subnet

Out of curiosity, just to better my knowledge, how can I connect to LANs that are remote from each other using a leased line and still have them in the same network & subnet.

Example siteA 10.0.0.0/8 and siteB 10.1.0.0/8

What devices will I need ?

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
6 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: How to connect 2 LANs on same subnet

You need to bridge between the two sites (layer 2). Remember that all your broadcasts will also go across the leased line.

A Cisco router can bridge.

Let me know if you need sample config.

pete,

I would be grateful if you could post the sample config. Its OK, I can live with the broadcasts.

I have not tested the config below but it should provide a starting point. '...' is the usual interface configuration. Hope it helps.

bridge irb

!

interface Loopback0

ip address 10.....

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

no ip address

bridge-group 1

!

interface Serial0/0

no ip address

bridge-group 1

!

interface BVI1

ip address 10....

Do you know of any issues regarding bridging and utilization on the WAN interface, in my case I have 2 3640's (hssi and ATM) over a DS3, but the utilization on both interfaces never goes above 40 %, even when transferring large amounts of data, do you have any idea why, I really appreciate your help, this has been bothering me for a while, thanks again!

Bronze

An issue that commonly pops up with high-bandwidth circuits involves TCP itself. Have a look at http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1323.html for information on why, depending on the TCP configuration of the end hosts, a single TCP stream may not be able to saturate a high-bandwidth WAN connection.

Views
Helpful
Replies